Expert Knowledge to Guide You Through Life’s Difficult Decisions
I understand that approaching some of the topics of estate planning, like naming guardians for your children or naming agents to handle your financial and medical affairs if you cannot manage them yourself, can be daunting and stressful. I am here to listen to your concerns and goals, then work with you to assess the different options you have when faced with difficult decisions, allowing us to come up with the best possible plan for you and your family or business.
Originating from the Hudson Valley in New York, I moved to Colorado in 2005 and completed my Masters in Taxation in 2010 to better serve clients with complex assets. With more than 19 years of experience working with a wide range of clients as well as training under nationally recognized estate planning experts, I absolutely love this area of law because of the emotional and financial solutions I provide to my clients on a daily basis. I stay current with changing federal and state laws and tax updates, by serving as Co-Editor of Council Notes, serving as an active committee member for the Trusts and Estate Section of the Colorado Bar Association (CBA), participating as an American Bar Association (ABA) reporter for the preeminent conference on estate planning and tax, the annual Heckerling Institute in Florida, and attending frequent Continuing Learning Education classes that discuss the evolving strategies for this area of law.
I enjoy giving back to the legal community through volunteering as a mentor to other attorneys through the Colorado Attorney Mentorship Program, serving on the Board of Directors for the Women’s Estate Planning Council where I am currently serving a three-year term as Vice President, President and Immediate Past President, and participating in the CLE committee to develop legal programs that will best serve our Trust and Estate community.
- LL.M., University of Denver Graduate Tax Program, Denver, CO, 2010
- Tax Advocate with the Taxpayer Clinic, University of Denver, Fall 2009 – Spring 2010
- J.D., Hofstra University School of Law, Hempstead, NY, 2003
- B.A. (English / Economics), University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 1998
- Licensed to practice in Colorado and New York
- Reporter for the American Bar Association on the Heckerling Institute, beginning in 2013 through the current year
- Over 40 Hours of Continuing Legal Education (CLE) each year
Professional Affiliations and Community Involvement:
- Vice President of the Board of Directors for Women’s Estate Planning Council, serving a 3-year term as Vice President, President and Immediate Past President (July 2022 – July 2025).
- Co-Editor of Colorado Bar Association (“CBA”) Trust and Estate Newsletter, Council Notes, a quarterly published newsletter related to the Trust and Estate Section. Responsibilities include: finding authors to publish quarterly articles, identifying current events and leadership positions of CBA committees, and review of information related to statutory changes, IRS news, and federal and state cases (2018 – present).
- American Bar Association reporter summarizing lectures at the annual Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning in Orlando, Florida, published on the ABA website, (2013 – present).
- Mentor for attorneys with the Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program (CAMP), (2013 – present).
- Active in monthly First Wednesday committee meetings for the CBA Trust and Estate Section related to planning continuing legal education classes, statutory revisions committee, and executive council to review and discuss decisions for the Trust and Estate Section (2014 to present).
- Executive Council Member for Colorado Bar Association Trust and Estate Section (July 2019-July 2021).
- Attorney Well-Being Committee, Organizing Lead on outreach to non-metro area attorneys for wellness objectives (2018).
- Co-Chair, Public Relations Committee for Women’s Estate Planning Council (July 2015- July 2017).
- Co-Chair of the Boulder County Bar Association Taxation, Estate Planning and Probate Section (July 2011- July 2013).
- Active member of the Trust and Estate Section of the Colorado Bar Association, Women’s Estate Planning Council, and the Rocky Mountain Estate Planning Council.
- Frequent participant in Walk MS and Walk for Alzheimer’s Denver (2016 – present)
Articles and Presentations:
- Building a Law Practice You Love: Effective Solo-Small Firm Practice Management Tools and Workflow Techniques, 2022 Colorado Estate Planning Retreat presentation on practice management recommendations and software.
- Much Ado About Medicaid Planning, 2021 Colorado Estate Planning Retreat presentation on Medicaid and techniques estate planners can incorporate for clients who are concerned about Medicaid planning.
- Reflecting on 2019 to Have an Even Better 2020, Dec. 2019 CBA Trust and Estate Newsletter, Council Notes Article on improving your client’s experience, uplifting your work environment and work life balance tips.
- Presented on Estate Planning for Blended Families to CBA at Denver Senior Law Day in July 2019
- Published “Estate Planning for Blended Families” in the March and April 2015 Boulder County Bar Association Monthly Publication
- Published “How a Trust can Protect Your Child’s Estate from a Divorcing Spouse” in the March 2012 Boulder County Bar Association Monthly Publication and later presented on the same topic as well as other asset protection strategies to the Boulder County Bar Association
- Presented on Trends in Tax Planning and Estate Planning for Women in Business to the Golden Women in Business group in January 2014
- How a Trust can Protect Your Child’s Estate from a Divorcing Spouse, March 2012 Boulder County Bar Association Newsletter article and presentation to the Boulder County Bar Association on asset protection strategies.